Recent News

Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Natural Living Snowball Effect


I think it's time for me to fine tune my skin care regimen because my journey into natural hair care is definitely calling for it. When my hair was relaxed I would only have skin problems like acne breakouts, excess oil and flaky dry patches when I went longer than my normal 6-8 week relaxing routine. I believe something with the chemicals was causing this but I have yet to prove that (I'm sure I will). I have always leaned toward Clean & Clear products when making skin care purchases. My current routine includes the Rapid Clear Daily Acne Scrub, the 2-1 Daily Cleanser and the Dual Action Moisturizer and I have been happy with these products for years. But I got to thinking, if I am choosing to become responsible for the chemicals I come in contact with in my hair care products I should take a look at my skin care routine as well.
With natural hair (especially type 4c hair) moisture is as important as breathing. In my past relaxer life moisture was important but the appearance of moisture was more important. I liked to use glossers and polishers that made my hair shiny but did little to nothing to actually moisturize it. I wanted to make sure my hair wasn't weighted down by anything so I would never use heavy greases or oils. My natural afro cries out desperately for moisture sometimes more than once a day so I'm always using coconut oil and Shea butter containing products. They really moisturize my hair but leave my skin oily. I think it's wonderful on every other part of my body except my face. In fact, I can't wait to show off the benefits of the constant coconut oil moisturizing I've been giving my body this summer. My face is a different story. I was already acne prone so the buildup of oil on my face is really starting to increase the break outs. Hence the need for an effective natural skin care regimen.
I took a look at a few natural skin care product lines but nothing made me want to run out and buy it so in my new pinterest inspired DIY motivation I decided to find, fine tune and/or create my own natural skin care products. I want to start with a toner first. I have used toners in the past and I like them because I can use them throughout the day with a cotton ball for a quick refresh for me and my pores. But the toners I have used in the past either left me feeling sticky and tight or [the toners with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide] dried out peeling. So what do I want in a natural toner:
  • Treat and prevent acne
  • Clarifying (I need deep pore debris removal)
  • Skin Balancing
  • Clean feeling with no residue
  • Non-drying
I Googled natural toners to find a base recipe to start with and I will fine tune and add and subtract from there. I found several recipes that are witch hazel based but since I am making this myself and I can eliminate the alcohol I will. I bought a trial size bottle of Evian facial refresher from Sephora a couple of years ago and I loved it so I think a water based product is best for me. I'm going to begin with the recipe I found below on Homemade Beauty Recipes:
Lavender Toner Recipe for Acne/Oily Skin
Ingredients:
2 fluid ounces of distilled water
6 drops Lavender essential oil
5 drops Sandalwood Essential Oil
3 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
I'm not a fan of lavender so I'm sure I am going to substitute that with the first batch. Tea Tree Oil is an acne fighter and Sandalwood balances the skin that's two checks off my lists already.

No comments:

Post a Comment